Sunday, June 6, 2010

Activity 8

One of the biggest transitions I have had to deal with was going to college. There are several reasons why this is true. First of all, I had to adjust to living in a bigger city. Even though River Falls isn’t that big, it is quite a step up from growing up in a rural community of 1,000 people. Secondly, I had to learn to share a room with someone while living in the dorms. When I was at home, I only had one sibling and never had to share a bedroom. I also had to adjust to the size of my classes. My graduating class only had 43 students in it, which was smaller than most of my classes in college. The final adjustment that I had to deal with when starting college was the freedom of not having my parents around.

This whole experience affected me in several ways. By having to share a room, I have learned to make compromises and become more aware of and considerate of others’ feelings. Living in a bigger city and having larger classes have pushed me to become more outgoing so that I can stand out more. In high school everyone knew everyone’s name so I did not have to speak up very much in order for the teachers to know me by name. Finally, being away from my parents has caused me to become more independent and self-motivated. I feel transitioning into college was something that helped me take a big step into adulthood.

What were some adjustments you had to make when you started college and how did they affect you?

6 comments:

  1. For my freshman year I attended the University of Minnesota in the twin cities and it was a major change from my small rural town. I couldn't have a car there so I had to learn how to use public transportation which I had never used previously. I also had to adjust to sharing a room. I was the only girl in my family so therefore had my own room. Class size was also a major change. I went from having about thirty people in each class to having hundreds in a class. I also had to get used to walking everywhere, where at home I lived in the country and had to drive everywhere. The biggest adjustment was the amount of work I had to do. I had hours of homework every night guaranteed and I also had to have a job in order to pay for school. These things all made me appreciate my easy going small town a lot. I really didn't like the cities so here I am in River Falls.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The biggest adjustment I had to make was sharing a very small space with another person. It was difficult to be in such a small area and have to share it between two people. I did know my roommate, so it atleast helped we would share stuff rather then have to label everything at who is whose, but this last year I lived in an apartment to help with the space issue. Another big adjustment I had was leaving my family. I am part of a very tight family, so leaving them to start my life in college was not easy, in fact I sometimes still have problems leaving them to go back to school today!

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of the biggest adjustments I had to make when going to college was being responsible with my time. It was hard for me because I am such a procrastinator when it comes to everything. And it is hard to succeed in college when you procrastinate. I also had to adjust to living in an atmosphere surrounded by new people and new places.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was also very hard for me adjust to having roommate in such a small space. I’m glad I chose to have a random roommate my freshman year. If I would have roomed with someone I knew, I think we would have fought because I was a pretty selfish roommate when I started school.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Like Cheryl, I also started my college experience at the University of Minnesota. However, I did not struggle with the size of the campus or the size of the classes. Instead, I struggled with my understanding of the politics involved with college. Also, I had one of the same struggles that Charissa had: I procastinated. Then again, I still have procrastinating issues. But when I was younger I think I was very immature in my procrastinating--not knowing what I could afford to procrastinate on compared to something that I couldn't afford to procastrinate on.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I honestly did not have to make that many adjustments. I am just from Hudson and so my family was close, some of my old friends were close, my clinic was close and I knew the area. It was just nice to have a place to excape from my regular stuff.

    ReplyDelete