Friday, June 11, 2010

Activity 12

One of the most important things this course has taught me is to realize more of the differences that exist between cultures and that these differences need to be taken into consideration when communicating with different cultures. I was always aware of the obvious physical differences that exist between cultures, but I was not aware of the more subtle differences. For instance, I did not know that different cultures view time differently. I now know that if I had a meeting with someone who was from a polychromic culture and they showed up late, they did not do it to be rude. They were late because they don’t view time as being lost like we do in monochromic society. I will also be more aware if the person is from a high-context or low-context culture. I will try to pick up on more non-verb cues when communicating with them. I also learned more about myself; who I identity myself as and how my culture and identity has shaped who I am; and about assumptions others might make about me because of my culture.

After taking this class I feel that I am by no means an expert in this area. The topics we covered in class just scratch the surface of understanding everything that goes into intercultural communication. I do feel that after this class I can definitely communicate with others in my own culture and from other cultures better because I have a clearer understanding of both. I have learned enough that I can share my understanding of intercultural communication with others so that they too may develop tools to be better intercultural communicators. I also feel more comfortable discussing and voicing my opinion on intercultural conflict because I understand some of the main traits of each group. Even with all the information I have learned, I my still be a little nervous talking to someone from a very different culture than my own, but I feel like I am a lot more prepared for an interaction like that now than I was before I took the class.

To develop my intercultural skills in the future, I plan on actively checking myself when I make assumptions about other cultures. I will question myself on the validity of the source that is causing me to make this assumption. Another area I can work on is being more aware and sensitive to cultural differences between my friends and me. Finally, by sharing this information with friends and family, I will keep the information fresh in my mind and will probably learn something from them by talking about intercultural communication. I will also be able to practice my intercultural skills as a veterinarian. When speaking with various clients, I will take what I know about their culture into consideration. The best treatment for the animal may depend on the owners culture. I plan to continue working on the skills I have learned in this because they will help me both professionally and personally.

What was the most interesting information you learned by taking this class?

4 comments:

  1. I thought the most interesting things that I learned was how we related American television shows to intercultural communication. I never took the time to realize how much a tv show impacts the way peoples of other cultures see us. I don't think it's fair that people see us in ways we are not, but it happens all the time. I liked this class because it opened my eyes to see and learn more about other more different cultures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found the activity about traditions in America to be very interesting. I didn't realize how many we have and how precise they are. Weddings for example are all the same. I just think it's interesting that we don't have more variety or people who want to change it up. It makes me realize how important they are to us that no one is willing to change them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed reading about how individuals of different cultures either assimilate or separate from their new surroundings. I was especially interested in the former. The reason I became interested in this is because I might either witness a situation like that, or I might even be in a situation like that myself. After reading that portion of the book, I realized how difficult sometimes people can make life for other people. So maybe if I experience discrimination or stereotyping in a workplace, maybe I could help the person for whom is being put into a difficult situation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. One of the most interesting things I learned from this class was how cultural conflit and different cultures are present everywhere even on tv. When I took my favorite show and analyzed it for cultural conflicts I came to realize that the conflicts were endless there were so many cultural conflicts I could not even choose which one to analyze. This just goes to show the stuff that we have learned in this class are present everywhere, everyday.

    ReplyDelete